Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Five Years Ago Today




I had miracle number THREE. He was so precious. His name, you ask? Sullivan Davis Russell. Named after one of Mac's nearest and dearest friends, Jason Sullivan, and the town Mac grew up in, Ft. Davis.

I knew that I wanted to have three kids, but we were sure surprised after having fertility problems with the first two, to learn that I had accidently missed a couple doses of my BC pill and Wha-lah. When I found out I was pregnant, I was at the house with the two boys, waiting for Mac to come home. I kept telling him I thought I was pregnant, he kept saying "Whatever Babe, you're on the pill." I kept replying, "REMEMBER BABE, I missed a couple." To which he came back with, "Eh, itta be aww-ite. You had such trouble getting pregnant with the boys, it will be fine."

So, after peeing on le stick, getting a positive result and crying for the next three hours, I decided that the way I would tell Mac would be to tape the test stick to the door. When he came home, he pulled it off the door, came inside, chuckled and said, "What is this? Is this a joke." More tears from me, great big hugs and reassurances that all was going to be alright from Mac.

4 months later we found out we were having another boy. As soon as the culprit popped up on the sonogram, I said, "It's a boy". The sonographer said, "How do you know?" I said, "I know what that thing right there is by now."

I only shed a couple of tears when I realized it wasn't going to be a girl and have really never looked back since. I can't imagine my world without my Sullivan. He has been such a wonderful gift...even when he throws rocks and breaks windows!! :) Have you SEEN his smile? Ugh.

Anway, a few short months after that, I was sitting at home having the worst contractions evarrr. I figured we should head to the hospital. After we got there, the contractions slowed. I was so tired and so embarrassed. After all, I had been through this two other times...I knew how this was supposed to work!!!

One week to the day after that, I was at my annual Christmas Bunco with my girlfriends at PF Changs and WHAM, they started again. Mom drove me to the hospital, Mac met us there and after spending all night there, they sent us home again. I bawled my BRAINS out...I was so ready for him to be born!

Exactly one week later, I was induced and we had another beautiful baby boy. He was 21 inches long and weighed 8 pounds 13 ounces. He was SOLID. Wouldn't know it today with his skinny little self.

Anway, I thank my lucky stars each an every day for the gift of Sullivan. He's an incredible little person and growing so fast. My baby is FIVE today.

Happy Birthday Sweet Sullivan.


4 comments:

Sarah said...

oooh.. I love your account of Sullivan's birth.. what a neat way to celebrate his birthday... I think I'm going to copy you/emulate you come January, when my two boys celebrate their birthdays.. he he.. love ya!

Painted Groove Girl said...

In about 10 to 12 years, please don't bring that gorgeous boy around my four-and-a-half-year-old darling girls...

And all this time I thought Sully was named after Sul Ross. Thanks for clearing that up.

He's precious.

Susie said...

Happy Birthday Sullivan!! How well I remember the day you, T, came into work after learning you were pregnant... oh yeah, that was a rough one. But such a happy thing once the shock wore off! I think you got a mighty fine Christmas present that year. :o)

Anonymous said...

That is sooooooo sweet. I think I'm going to cry now!

~ Dana