Monday, March 24, 2008

New Family Traditions



Sometimes your life takes a turn. Sometimes it's a doozie and leaves you feeling stranded. Sometimes you make the best of falling off the road and sometimes, not every time...but sometimes you are pleasantly surprised at what the new turns have to offer.

We had quite a rough year last year and knew that Easter would probably be the hardest of all. Easter was one of Pop-pop's favorites and he LOVED to hide the eggs and watch the kiddos find them again and again. It was the last holiday we spent with him. We knew it would be rough this year.

With loving and wide open arms my Aunt and Uncle graciously invited us into their home so that we could go out and be with Calee and Ady's "Granny and Pop". Since the boys were teeny tiny, they haven't known them as Uncle Ernie and Aunt Sandy, only as Granny and Pop. Though we missed having B and Hunter there, the house was full of love, wonderful food, laughs and brand new family memories. Good times were had by all.

The adult kids even gathered around and did crossword puzzles together. What a hoot. Only my brother and sister-in-law could make doing crossword puzzles HIL-AIR-REE-YUS!!

I KNOW that Fisher had a flashback and a momentary panic attack when Calee said the blessing at the dinner table. Read HERE to see why he would have such crazy feelings about eating blood and bones...bless his butt.

Even though it was 40 below zero...just like it is every Easter...the kiddos all had a blast finding eggs and helping Baby Austin to find his eggs too!!

Fisher took a spill on "K" girls bike and really really banged up his leg and elbow. There was blood a flowin' ever whar. Me being the mom I am...well, let's just say that I do other mommy duties SO much better. I tried not to cry along with tha child as I was pouring hydro peroxide into his bleeding wounds. In steps my hero of a brother. HOW does he know how to be sucha good parent when he has no kiddos of his own? Amazing. He held up Fisher's arm like it was nuthin'. He dug around in his cuts to make sure there was no gravel in them. WOW. Again, my hero. You can IMAGINE the scene before my hero of a brother stepped in...All Fisher had to say to me before that time was "God, I was so happy before this happened, Mom. Are you going to have to take me to the doctor, Mom. I really didn't plan for this to happen, Mom." All of this was between great big sobs and tears. It's amazing I even could decipher what the boy had to say. Calee stepped into the teeeee-ni-nee bathroom (keep in mind I am ULTRA chlostrophobic) and said, "Hey Fisher, can you imagine if you would have landed on barbed wire how much worse it would have been?" Princess Ady stepped in and said, "Can you imagine if it had been ME?" (meaning how much worse it would have been.) CRACK me up!!! ANYhoo...the boy is all cleaned up and healing quite well and I have to give a shout out and a thank you to the princess, K girl and my hero of a brother for all their help in the teeee-ni-nee bathroom yesterday. Fish says thanks too.

My point of this whole hoopteehoo is that I wanted to say that making traditions and family memories is a wonderful and incredible thing. Oh yes, it's extremely hard when your world is turned upside down, but it always feels so much better when you have the love of others to swoop in and help you make new memories.

Thank you Y'all. Your love is endless. You are an amazing family.

0 comments: