Friday, September 19, 2008

Maybe I Have Crossed the Line?

I suppose growing up and living in Austin has given me some sort of wordly open mindedness that others in different areas of Texas or even our beloved country might not come by naturally.

I have always loved and been intrigued by different cultures and ways of living. I don't think one way is right and one way is wrong, just that we are all co-existing together in the best way we can and that it's okay to be different as long as you're not hurting anyone else.

That being said, I've never been surprised by cross-dressers or trans-sexuals. I don't know what it is, but I've never been offended or scared or felt out-of-place or uncomfortable. I think there's enough people in the world that give in to that, so the place in which I reside in my own little world, I've always been quite proud of. Heck, the first person to ever cut my hair (besides my mother) was a year into the required therapy for a sex change. She was the best hair stylist EVER. Miss you Blair!! Which brings me to why my open-mindedness might go a little overboard sometimes.

I pulled up to McDonald's the other day and there was this man that had very obviously adopted the feminine side of his persona. He was very well manicured, Had the most beautiful long hair pulled back in a headband, eyebrows had recently been waxed and his color of lip gloss was quite appealing. He was the most polite individual I have ever dealt with in the McDonald's drive-thru, heck any drive-thru as a matter of fact.

But MAYBE I crossed the line...you be the judge. As he was handing me my 800 happy meals that it requires to feed my ever-growing lot of boys I call my kiddos I leaned out of my window and asked, "So, how many people have told you that you look like America Ferrera?" He said, "No one. I don't know who that is." And without a second thought, I started to explain that she was the girl in "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." To which his eyes got as big around as saucers and he replied, "OH. Is that a GOOD thing?" I said, "Um, yes, she's very beautiful." He chuckled a bit. And while I don't think he was offended in the slightest, the size of his surprised eyes reminded me that sometimes maybe my "open-mindedness" should be hindered a bit because at the precise moment we were driving off Sullivan asked, "Mommy, why did you just tell that man he looked like a beautiful woman?"

Gracious Golly. Must learn to self-edit. Not everyone needs to know what I am thinking at all times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear. oh my. i am laughing and cringing at the same time. i'm sure it's fine! umm. hahahaa. more laughing than cringing. hehahaheehohhoehaaahaa.

Lavender Chick said...

That's really funny - AND, I completely relate... Sounds just like something I would have done.

mbc said...

Oooooh, like the new look!!!